Britain's first fascist to be elected to the official body which runs London has used blogs on a national newspaper website to blame 'immigrants and the sons of immigrants' for the recent spate of knife and gun crime murders in the capital.
Under the headline "Blame the immigrants", the posting on My Telegraph, a platform which allows readers to publish their own articles, Richard Barnbrook claims the killers are protected by a government eager to secure the "Ethnic Block-Vote" and says immigrants "will not be allowed to terrorise our kids any longer. The British National Party (BNP) leader was elected this month to the Greater London Assembly.
His controversial comments have been condemned by leading anti-fascists as illegal incitement to racial hatred. Gerry Gable, veteran editor of the magazine Searchlight said that most of what Barnbrook says is 'offensive dribble'. He added: "And to those that talk about freedom of speech I would say freedom of speech has its limitations in a democracy. Try speaking about freedom of speech to the families of murdered (Black teenagers) Stephen Lawrence or Anthony Walker in Liverpool and the white families involved in interracial disputes."
Barnbrook, the councillor for Barking and Dagenham, threatens to 'take back' London and send in the army to remove all weapons from the streets of the city and says: "If immigrants don't like it then they know where the airport is. They will not be allowed to terrorise our kids any longer."
Barnbrook's inflammatory blogs have been appearing on the website of the right-wing Conservative newspaper since his election on May 1.
They come at a particularly racially sensitive time in the wake of the murder of Harry Potter actor Robert Knox, a popular young white man, who was stabbed outside the Metro Bar at Sidcup in Kent.
Barnbrook made a rallying cry to 'British young people' to today attend a meeting with him at London's City Hall.
Gable challenged The Daily Telegraph to test what Barnbrook is writing on its site to see if it is lawful. The Searchlight editor said the newspaper previously had a good record in speaking out against fascism and racism. But recently the BNP had managed to get a lot of correspondence onto its letters page.
In a response to The Guardian, the newspaper defended its decision to host the blog and said it has had no complaints. A spokeswoman said: "Our readers are entitled to their opinions and, within the law, they're entitled to publish them on the My Telegraph blogging platform. We believe our readers are intelligent and discerning enough to avoid the content they dislike and report that which offends. That doesn't mean the Telegraph necessarily endorses their opinions nor promotes them."