Bea Scott - Beverly Hills, America
With the equality of the sexes more evident that ever before in the spheres of politics, economics, and in the workplace, it seems to be a great time to be a woman. Women of today enjoy more freedom and privileges compared to the many generations before them.
However, all is not as sunny as it seems. Crimes against women have been on the steady rise too. Just yesterday, I read in the news of a 13 year old girl who was raped in Detroit. Reuters recently reported on a Bosnian Serb indicted on the rape of two Muslim women.
Just as the world is opening more doors for us, it is proving to be a more dangerous place too. Women shouldn't stand idle while all this is happening! If they are earning enough to buy nice houses and go on nice vacations, then they should think about investing in ways and means to protect themselves!
The next time you go on a luxury vacation (see: http://www.luxurylink.com/travel-offers), why don't you consider a destination where some effective self defence methods hail from too. Aside from getting a well-deserved break, you'll also walk away from your vacation with a good amount of exercise, and something that could potentially save your life. If you don't know where to go, here are some suggestions:
1. Brazil - the streets and beaches of Sao Paolo or Rio de Janeiro are rife with fun, flavour, colour and all things that we love about the Latin culture. However, not many people know that Brazil is also the home of Capoiera. Capoiera is a mixture of dance, martial arts and acrobatics that originated from the African slaves. Its aesthetics are so unique and draw on its rich African heritage.
2. Israel - Many consider visiting Israel for the Holy land tours- trips that take one to Jesus' homeland. Israel is also the homeland of Krav Maga. Krav Maga is a self-defence system that utilizes hand-to-hand combat. It applies "real life" context to its movements in the sense that it employs just the minimum practical movements to defend oneself from attack. It is the self-defence method used by the Israeli Security Forces.
3. China - While the great wall and the upcoming Olympics are great reasons to visit China, they are not the only ones. Karate, arguably the most famous self-defence method hails from China. It developed from Southern style Kung Fu and is a striking art, involving punching, kicking, knee and elbow strikes.
4. Thailand - A very popular destination for those who want a taste of the "real Asia", Thailand offers wonderful shopping, great food and beautiful beaches. Thailand also includes in its offerings Muay Thai or more popularly known as Thai Boxing. Thailand's national sport uses a series of punches and kicks which targets the "8 points of contact". It is so effective that the military even employ it as their form of defense.
5. Japan - With the Yen in a not-so-good state, It's the perfect time to head to Japan to enjoy a taste of the Hariijuku street life, while partaking in authentic sushi and wagyu beef. The dropping Yen has also made the art of Ninjitsu more affordable. Ninjitsu, in laymen terms is "Ninja training". This martial art follows the way of the Ninja, with rapid and fluid hand and foot movements.
These destinations are just a minuscule taste of what the world has to offer. Each country actually has its own native and specialized form of self-defence. It is only up to you to ask and look.
The next time you go on vacation, come home with more than just a nice tan. Come home with a means of protecting yourself and your loved ones as well.